So I just finished reading
The Beach by Alex Garland (1996).
I really enjoyed it, mainly just because I've pretty much always wanted to travel and visit the world, so a book that pretty much engrosses me in a traveller lifestyle was right up my street. I think I bought my copy some time last winter but by some weird logic I thought I'd wait to read it till the weather went nice (maybe so I could really get into the beach mind set, rather than the deary dearyness that the winter provides) so when the weather picked up last month I jumped at the chance.
When I was younger I remember really liking the film version, but post-book-reading, I prefer the book (I think it's the case for most book-to-film adaptations to be honest). The book is alot more complex, the characters are deeper and the events are different. The event are better, if you will. The ending to the book is also different to the film, it's rather creepy and grotesque (so I can see why they changed it for the mainstream).
Have you read any good books recently?
I think I'm going to read a Sue Townsend novel next, for a little bit of 'light relief', aha.
PS. Pretty Limited Edition 'Penguin Ink' Books from our.city.lights.



No comments:
Post a Comment